CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Saturday, December 12, 2009

"if fierce winds become thine enemy"

The rain came down hard and fast. It fell in waves and drenched the thoroughly soaked earth even further. It was dark, cold and wet. I could hardly remember a time when I had seen so much rain at one time. Our family piled into the Escape tightly with our coats on. Even though the garage was dry we already felt damp. The drive over to the camp was foggy and lonely. I wondered if any body else would come and I wouldn't have blamed them if they didn't.

The camp was saturated with water. We parked and prepared to get out. I put my hood on hoping that very little of the outside world would touch me. A man dressed in a poncho with an umbrella met us and showed us where to walk down to the lodge. The patio around the lodge was a pool of ice water. Chunks of snow were marooned in the rain water. A path was available for us to walk without getting wet.

Inside the lodge a fire was going in the gigantic fireplace. Huge logs were piled up next to the fire getting dry for later. I could smell turkey, roast and potatoes cooking. I smiled at friends who were dripping and they smiled back. I waved, hugged, said hello and dropped my cake off. As more friends arrived we greeted them and watched as they dried off and then joined in the festivities. The kids ran and played with their friends. The room grew full. We ate and then ate again, laughed, shared our talents, sung songs, laughed some more, Santa came and the children made a Nativity. It was our Branch Christmas Party.

Outside it continued to rain in sheets. The wind continued to blow as it only can in the mountains along the coast of the mighty pacific ocean. The ponds of snow water grew deep and the world became even darker. We could hear the water blow against the windows and taunt us as it tried to make its way in. But we dried ourselves by the huge fire and got warm. We mostly forgot the storms outside while we enjoyed each other.

We said a prayer, cleaned up and passed out the leftovers. I walked over to find my children. They were involved in a big game on the floor. Ashling played and so did Ynez who is 16. All the kids were there in a circle playing together, smiling and having fun. The big kids were keeping the small ones busy so the floor could be mopped. It seemed like Heaven. I have felt Heavenly Father's presence in my life many times but as I saw those children playing together, smiling and laughing I knew that Heaven was like this. When we lived with our Heavenly Father before we came to earth we played with our brothers and sisters.

As I prepared to exit I put my coat back on with the hood, buckled the straps on Annika's hat and then I stepped outside. The deafening wind hit my face wetting it. My hood blew from my head and my hair was wet instantly. The water bled on to my socks. The wind helped me open my door and I jumped inside tugging it shut. We drove home on a road of leaves, rocks, pine needles and dirt, also known as Highway 18. The creeks flowed like rivers and the dam on our small lake was breached.

As the storms of life rage I know that there is protection in the gospel of Jesus Christ. I know that my Savior lives and loves me and that he gives comfort and protection from the things of this world. I am happy to celebrate Christmas at this time of year and remember all of the many things that Jesus did for us. I am thankful that Heavenly Father loved us enough to give us a Redeemer. I am thankful for His atonement that allows us to repent of our sins and then return to live with our Heavenly Father again.

""...If fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good. The Son of Man hath descended below then all. Art thou greater than he?" D&C 122:7-8
My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thin afflictions shall be but a small moment; And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes." D&C 121: 7-8

0 comments: