CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Friday, September 3, 2010

What Ashling and Annika did...

While Ali was at Grandma Sue's and we were backpacking, Ashling and Annika went to see Aunt Stacey, Tony and Grandma Bonnie. We met them in a Kmart parking lot right about closing time in Blythe California. I think it was above 90 degrees still in the dark. I was very worried about what Annika might do and what she might feel when I left her with nearly strangers and buckled her in the other car.


In preparation I let her help pack her suitcase and explained the whole thing to her. She would be going to Stacey's and Grandma's. We then clapped our hands and she clapped her hands and acted like she was going to a party. (This is not far off from the truth because they are so much more fun than me anyways.) I kept talking about it and she seemed at least mildly alarmed which let me know that she was understanding it. As we drove the car across the barren desert I kept reminding her that she would be going and that then she would come back and that it would be really fun.

In the parking lot that night she was a little hesitant and watched Ashling bursting with excitement for her own adventure. Then she decided that it would be fun too. She started saying, "Stacey, Stacey" over and over and let Stacey pick her up. I took the girls inside to use the restroom and she stayed with Stacey. Later I buckled her in the other car and she said, "Bye, Bye" and gave me a kiss. She was sure that she was going off on a grand adventure. I cried for a little while as we drove back towards our house.

The girls had a great week. They played with Stacey and Grandma, watched tv, swam a little, went shopping and just enjoyed being spoiled. Stacey invented great games for them like having them mop the tile, wipe up things and probably other slave chores that I am unaware of... (it was fun.) They never cried or cared that we were gone. On Saturday afternoon they came home excited to see us and ready to tell about their grand adventure in Arizona. Stacey said they were pretty easy the whole time except for one messy diaper....

1 comments:

Shar said...

how awesome to have them go so well to Stacey's! i wanted to cry for you when you had to drive away. that is SO HARD to do.