CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Saturday, August 21, 2010

South Lake To North Lake Trip Report Day 6

The last day was Friday. It was supposed to be Saturday but I was too dirty, too tired, had too many blisters and craved a shower and a steak that bad. Cameron couldn't imagine eating another dehydrated meal after breakfast and I suggested that we could hike all the way out. I even woke him up early so that we could get ready to go. We dragged a little with packing and didn't even leave until around 8:30 am.


The first part of the trail was pretty easy. The trail went through more trees with more wildflowers everywhere. I have never seen so many wildflowers anywhere. Right after we started hiking we came to a creek crossing. At each creek crossing the trail builders have placed bigger rocks across the water that you can jump from one to another on. They are not always flat and sometimes it seems like one might have rolled away in high water. Sometimes they use down trees too. This river crossing had 5 parts. I kept thinking we were done but we weren't. It is very difficult for me to cross and I always lose my balance. I ended up with one foot in the creek that barely got wet. (I love my salamon gtx shoes they are the best.)

The whole way to Piute Pass was pretty easy. It was uphill but it wasn't too steep. If you look to the back of this picture you can see the Piute Pass between the mountains.
We made it up to the top of the pass by 12:00 pm. It was the easiest pass I have ever hiked to the top of. It was easy because you could see where the top was and there were no surprises like extra hills to hike over. We ate a small lunch on the top of the pass in the wind. Finally the wind was too strong and we left to start the hike down.

Right away I realized that the other side was not the same kind of hike. It was like one long staircase from top to the bottom with lots and lots of steps carved out of the steep cliff. If you have ever hiked down from Mount Whitney this trail was similar but not as long. The going was tough, it was hot and the trail was cruel to my feet. I really wanted to stop and curl up next to the lake but the thoughts of putting on flip flops and taking a shower kept me going.

We ended our hike around 3:00 at the North Lake Campground. We did not have our car here and had to find a ride to South Lake which is about a 14 mile drive in a car. The second people we asked were willing to take us. I am very thankful for the man who let our dirty, smelly bodies get in his nice truck. He gave us a ride to South Lake. We changed clothes and headed down to the same restaurant we had gone to on the way in for dinner! We ended our hike with Prime Rib, milkshakes, shrimp skewers and brownie sundaes. I am glad that I hiked 60.5 miles but hope to have a few less blisters next time!

0 comments: