CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Monday, July 7, 2008

Our Trip to Mammoth



We went to Mammoth for 4th of July weekend. It was a great vacation. We left around 10:00 on Friday morning. We drove to Lone Pine and ate Carl's Junior while we played at the wonderful park in Lone Pine. It has a great park, a wonderful field with trees and a creek running through it and picnic tables. We spent about 45 minutes there and then we drove up to Pine Creek on the other side of Bishop. Cameron fished, Ali tried to catch butterflies, Ashling threw rocks in the river and watered the plants and I read. We were all happy. It was all going well until we left. There was one stinging nettle plant in the area we were in and we had warned the girls to stay away. But Ali managed to fall right in the middle of the stinging nettle plant. She got it all over her arms. And of course we didn't have our first aid kit with us. So I borrowed some cream from someone at the creek and in a little while she was feeling better and forgot all about it.

We then checked in to our condo and I took the girls swimming while Cameron worked on starting dinner. He came to join us in a little while and they enjoyed the hot tub while I sat on the side. (Pregnant ladies are not supposed to be in hot tubs and the pool was cold with the wind blowing.)

After dinner we drove down to Crowley Lake to see the fire works. We found a place we thought would be really good and played a little frisbie while waiting. The fireworks were okay but it was a little far from the fireworks and we were a little disappointed. Next time we will know to park closer.

On Saturday morning we made Orange rolls and had a nice breakfast. Then we went to the Mammoth Mountain Ski Resort and rode the tram to the top of Mammoth Mountain. It was a great view and a great day. We hiked around, had lunch and looked at the distcovery center. We loved showing the girls the Sierras and can't wait to take them backpacking next year! Ali loved seeing the volcanoes and she ran all over trying to catch butterflies. Ashling liked to tell Ali that she saw a butterfly and watch her catch them.

Here is a picture of the butterfly Ali caught. She caught a lot on the trip but this is the one we got pictures of. She crept up on it so carefully and managed to catch it even though it was a big one. She was really sad to let it go.



On Saturday afternoon Cameron went fishing with Ali who went fishing for butterflies. Ashling and stayed at the condo and took a nap. Later we took the girls swimming again. Then Cameron took Ali and Ashling to another firework show in the village. Ali and Ashling danced to beach boys music and enjoyed a small firework show. (I was feeling a little under the weather so I stayed at the condo.)

Sunday we checked out of the hotel and drove around the lakes in Mammoth. We then drove south and stopped in Big Pine Canyon for a couple hours. Once again Cameron fished, Ali caught butterflies and played house with Ashling and I enjoyed reading. We ended our vacation and drove the rest of the way home.

4 comments:

Nicole said...

What a fun vacation!!! I am always so impressed with how much outdoors stuff you guys do with your girls. I am so wimpy and scared to take our boys camping. We took Weston when he was about 3 months old and I was terrified he was going to freeze to death.:) How cool though. I love that your girls can entertain themselves and you get to READ!!! ahh...breaking dawn comes out in less than a month! wahoo!!!

thanks for the comment...I don't feel like I look very good yet, but it is so nice to hear that I do. :)

Stacey and Tony said...

Sounds fun! I always love seeing the Girls'pictures and then it makes me miss them. I'll have to call you one of these days again. Now that I don't live on the east coast, I'm always wanting to call you before I go to bed, like I used to, but then you are usually in bed, so not a good plan. And I work during the day, so that hasn't worked out too well either. Oh well. I still haven't mailed your book. Tony was supposed to, but he siad he could find your address. Easy excuse if you ask me.

Barbara said...

Sounds like you guys had a blast. Sorry we were not able to come with. Next time we will have to plan better so we can make it.

Shar said...

What a nice, relaxing break. I'm glad you got to go somewhere for the 4th! and I hear ya on the air conditioner thing. our swamp cooler has been broken for...over a year. Last year when I was 7-8-9 months pregnant during the Utah summer heat - no swamp cooler & no AC. :o( So I feel your pain!!
Luckily some friends had given us a window AC, and that, plus the ceiling fans that we so smartly installed the winter before, saved me. Well, that and wandering around the house in my - ahem - undies. Good thing no one dropped by announced...too often! ha ha ha.