CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Sunday, March 18, 2012

olvera street

We went on a field trip to Olvera street with Ali's class.  It was quite an adventure because we rode Metrolink.  Metrolink starts in a ghetto part of San Bernardino and most of the parents had never done it either.  We were all a little nervous but it ended up just being fun!  Here we are just as the train is getting ready to leave.  It is weird because in LA area the Metrolink has nice seats and it cost a fortune.  23.50 for a round trip ticket.  We need Boston's T which I think I only spent 5 dollars on and I rode several different legs and went all over the place in it.  I hope someday they get wise and build something a little cheaper or they will never get the ridership they are looking for!
It took quite a long time to get down there and the girls were excited.  We couldn't see much because it was pretty foggy the whole way down there.  Here are Faith, Ali and Madison.
The Union Station was beautiful.  That was my favorite part of the whole trip.  It was amazing to see everyone getting off the train and going into work.  I can't imagine living that way but it would better than driving....I think.
Here is another part of the Union Station.  I am not sure what it was for but it was beautiful.
This is the outside of the Union Station.
Here is a mural of the Blessing of the Animals.  Apparently right before Easter the Mexicans and Americans still today have a ceremony where the Priests bless their animals.
I love this tree.  Isn't it amazing?
Here is a cross.
This is called the Pico House.  They built it to be a 5 star hotel but by the time it was finished the city center had moved and they couldn't get anyone to stay there.  Eventually the guy who built it went completely bankrupt.
You can see downtown LA buildings from here.

This shows the Mexican Independence battle scenes.  I wonder why no one even does any graffiti on here?  I am glad but surprised it stayed so nice.
We ate lunch on Olvera street and it was very good.
The girls bought these and I also bought some for Ashling and Annika.

0 comments: