CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Happy Birthday Sharlene and Nicole

I like where we live but I don't like everything about it. And I know what is missing. What is missing is kids... a friend for Ali, Ashling and even Annika. There are no kids on our street and I miss that. I miss children knocking on the door and I miss someone to walk home with. I

I did not miss out on this as a child. My street had lots of kids. There were kids everywhere. Boys for my brother and girls for me and my sister. And we played a lot. When I was 10 a new family moved in and I was so happy. They did not have just one friend for me but it was two for the price of one. Nicole and Sharlene were twins and they became my best friends. For four years we played barbies, cards, and whatever else together. We did chores together and traded books, just reading the whole night. You guys are the only ones who don't care if I felt like reading a good book instead of talking. We spent the night at each other's houses and even spent whole weeks together. We got into fights and learned how to work around them... a skill I am sure helps me in my own relationship. We walked to school together... up hill both ways in snow up to our necks. (Oh wait... we lived in Southern California.) We got sick together and played when the school kept us home.

I always felt lucky to have such good friends. They were always there. I enjoyed the long talks, I enjoyed my other family with a little baby brother to play with. I enjoyed sleep overs, camp outs, and swimming at the beach and going out just a little too far. We toilet papered houses together and slept out in the backyard. I am sure we did so many other things together and it was fun.

At fourteen my family moved away and I missed my friends.

Happy Birthday Nicole and Sharlene! I miss you guys still and when you are enjoying your pool parties and park dates I wish we lived closer and could still be that kind of friends. I appreciate your friendship throughout all the years. Good luck making the most of your last year in your twenties!

2 comments:

Shar said...

Melissa - you're so awesome! your post made me cry. I miss getting to do those things, too. You moved away before we could have kids to play together! My mom is in town right now, and she brought my box of journals. I've been reading about all the things we did together. It cracks me up. There was one day that we were going to go to Disneyland, but then it rained, so we stayed at your house and played card games and watched Fiddler on the Roof (my first time ever seeing it). So much fun! I agree - I learned so much from our years as friends, things that help me now in life. Thanks for being so awesome. Maybe one day we'll live closer again :)

Nicole said...

I'm a little late in saying thank you, but here it is! THANK YOU!! This made me cry too, and wish for good times with our kiddos together. You are so awesome and I loved our days growing up together. THanks again for the wonderful Birthday post! I miss you!