CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Friday, August 21, 2009

Our first meeting

I am a little nostalgic with our ten year anniversary coming up in a few days and I thought I would post a little about us.

Cameron and I met at BYU, 13 years ago in 1996. We were there for a youth program called EFY. My best friend, Ina and I were excited to be there and we thought we should find some guys to flirt with for the week. (Just like all of the other girls and boys who just to EFY where flirting is at least half the fun.) We agreed to try to "get" two guys in our group- I would take the dark and handsome guy (that is what I thought I was in to at the time) and she would take his friend; the cute green eyed boy.... but it didn't work that way.

At the first dance Ina and I got seperated. I danced with a few guys and then went to find Ina again. She was dancing with the cute green-eyed boy. He asked me to dance and I learned his name was Cameron. One song ended but another slow song began and Cameron asked me to keep dancing. We danced and hung out with Ina and his cute, tall, dark and handsome friend, Jim. But although Jim was dark and handsome he wasn't that exciting to dance with. I enjoyed talking with the whitey. And Cameron kept asking me to dance and switching off to dance with Ina. He even danced with me in the country dance area where we learned a little swing dancing. Cameron asked me to dance the last dance of the evening.

We walked back to the dorms and when they made us seperate we said a simple goodnight. I wasn't sure what to think because I hadn't been pursued by a guy so blatently before and it felt good. Ina let me know this was not fair because she had danced with Cameron three times before I came into the picture. Then she simply dissappeared. I still couldn't remember his name and kept asking her what it was.

Tuesday we played games in a large field. I still couldn't remember his name. It annoyed Ina when I asked her. (Don't worry about her she met her one and true love later and now constantly tells me that she got the better end of the deal.) As we lay on the field passing other people hand over hand above us he said, "You have the most amazing eyes." I didn't forget his name after that.

The rest of the week Cameron and I hardly left each other's sides. I wish I remembered more about it and that the details were clearer in my mind. He tickled me and threw grass in my hair and then pulled it out. We enjoyed eating meals together, we walked through the bookstore together, we listened to speakers and wrote notes to each other, sometimes we didn't listen to speakers but whispered to each other in the back. My favorite memories are of sitting in the lounge to our dorm and listening to Cameron play. I never had seen anyone who could play the piano like Cameron and I loved the piano. I also liked the music to Phantom of the Opera and he knew it. We also laid on the sidewalk and watched the lightning one afternoon. We held hands for the first time at a concert that they provided for us-I guess all that tickling paid off.

On Friday of EFY it was my 16th birthday. Usually there are so many girls at EFY in comparison to the boys that the boys have two dates. But since it was my 16th birthday and since everyone knew we were an item they let Cameron be my only date. He brought me a picture of Christ that I had told him I liked earlier in the week as a present. We ate dinner together and danced all night together. As we were singing I saw a tear slip down Cameron's cheek and I was sad that we would never see each other again. It had been more than I expected for a fun filled week but like all things it had come to an end. We held hands as we walked back to the dorms and said our last goodbye, or so I thought.

Cameron had different plans, however, and had kept my iron I had let him borrow. This meant we had to meet again early the next morning. He kissed me on the cheek goodbye and I thought, well that was a fun week too bad it is over... I never expected to hear from him again.

1 comments:

Ina said...

I think you made me sound more put out then I really was ..... or was I? :) I just like to make it sound like you stole him from me but truth be told he was never mine and he was probably just using me to find you, j/k. Happy Anniversary!